Self Study Science
Self Study Science Course
My name is Anne, and I am a Science teacher from Ireland.
This is a Science Course that you can study at home. All you need is pen and paper. You can start anywhere and work at your own speed.
You can make or buy your own Science Folder or you can use a notebook. In your Folder you will keep all your pieces of paper with your notes and observations. Write notes about the science and write down any questions that you have.
I will demonstrate some experiments that you can do at home.
You can write up the experiments in your Science notebook, or Science Folder.
I will tell you what you need, but even just pen and paper and yourself is enough.
Safety is very important when doing Science. As we are not in a Science Lab, there are some experiments that we cannot do. For all experiments you do at home here are the Safety Rules:
Watch the video to see why safety is so important.
- For younger students: Tell an adult before starting your Science experiments (and ask for help if needed).
- Tie up long hair and secure loose clothing
- Wear old clothes or an apron
- Do not eat or drink near your experiment
- Do not put your experiment in the fridge or near food
- Wash your hands when you finish your experiment
- Take care when using hot water or anything hot
- Take care when using candles
- Take care when using ice or anything cold
- Keep strong magnets away from mobile phones
- When using electricity or batteries, do not get them wet and do not make a short circuit (this is when the plus (+) and the minus (-) of the battery is connected with wire and nothing else – it gets very warm and could cause a fire)